Friday, July 12, 2013

Deli-Style Roast Beef: An Experiment in Deliciousness

I have several recipes that call for deli roast beef - cold cut wraps, cheater's Philly cheesesteak pitas, and Philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers to name a few. The problem with that is the price. Deli roast beef is really expensive ($7-$10 per lb). One of our local grocery stores was having a 4-day meat sale and whole sirloin tip roast was included in that sale for $2.69/lb so I decided to give homemade deli roast beef a try. Let me just say that I was not disappointed. It was easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious! I used an 8.81 pound whole sirloin tip roast, olive oil, and McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning. Prep times was only about 5 minutes and I was able to just let the roast cook away while I did other things around the house. I was able to fill two gallon sized freezer bags half full so that I could put one in the fridge for lunches and the other in the freezer for cheater's Philly cheesesteak pitas later on this month.

  • 8-10 lb whole sirloin tip roast
  • 2-3 tablespoons McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoningMcCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
    Directions
    1.  Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Spray a large roasting pan (or other baking dish that has at least a 2" high lip, I used my large cake pan) with nonstick cooking spray.

    2.  Coat your roast with olive oil, then rub your seasoning all over it. Set roast into greased pan. Place roast in the oven and cook for 25 minutes. 

    3.  Cover with foil and reduce heat to 275 degrees. Let cook another 1-2 hours depending on the size of the roast and your preferred degree of doneness. After the first hour, check your roast with a meat thermometer every 20 minutes until done to your liking.
    Rare 120° – 125°
    Medium-rare 130° – 135°
    Medium 140° – 145° (This is how Jared likes his)
    Medium-well 150° – 155° (This is how I like mine)
    Well done 160° and above
    4.  Remove from oven once done. Let rest 30 minutes, then place in the fridge to cool overnight.

    5.  Once cold, slice thinly with a very sharp knife (I bought a Guy Fieri Chef's knife for Jared a few Father's days ago and it worked beautifully.)

    6.  Enjoy it on a sandwich or in any of the above mentioned recipes.



    3 comments:

    1. Looks like it stayed nice and moist! Yum!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It did stay very moist. I also saved all the juices from the pan and let the sliced meat just sit in it.

        Delete
    2. It's a good thing that you've shared to your own page your recipe. I would like to get back into blogging, especially about cooking. Thanks for this.

      ReplyDelete