Sunday, January 27, 2013

Dutch Apple Pie Muffins

With the streusel and some butter, yummy!
I really enjoy apple pie but don't make it often as it can be time consuming. With that in mind, I saw a special for $2 Dutch Apple Pies (the good kind in the freezer aisle) so I cheated and bought one to have when our company was here yesterday. This morning I was struggling with what to make for our usual "take along Sunday breakfast". Then I thought to myself, I bet I could make a muffin with flavors similar to Dutch Apple Pie. They turned out really well (Jared even told me that they are his new 2nd favorite). I would have added a streusel topping but I ran out of time, so I've added the recipe for it in case you have time to try it. Enjoy!
This is how they looke without the streusel.
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 can apple pie filling
Streusel Topping (optional): combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until crumbly, or mash the ingredients together in a bowl using a fork.
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Directions
  1. Grease and flour two muffin pans. Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  2. Whisk eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla, and sugars together in a large bowl. Chop the apple pie filling into small chunks (I just throw it in my mini chopper and pulse it a few times) and stir into the sugar mixture. Add flour mixture and until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. Optional: top with streusel mixture.
  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment