Friday, November 30, 2012

Meatballs in a Sweet and Spicy Brown Mustard Sauce

I am a sucker for meatball appetizers. You know, the ones that you serve in some sort of sauce with pretzel sticks on the side? When my sister gave me the Thanksgiving menu and appetizers were on the list, I knew that I had to do a meatball appetizer. Most of the time, the sauce is barbecue or tomato based, but I didn't want either of those. I wanted a mustard based sauce, and not just any mustard. I wanted a spicy brown mustard because it goes so well with pretzels. It turned out to be quite delicious!
  • 8 oz. spicy brown mustard
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 2 pounds precooked meatballs
  • 1 bag pretzel sticks (optional, you could use toothpicks instead)
Directions
  1. In a large skillet or saute pan, heat meatballs.While meatballs are warming, whisk together the mustard, honey, water, oil, garlic, onion, and parsley. 
  2. When meatballs have been warmed completely, pour sauce over the meatballs, cover, and simmer till sauce is thickened.
  3. Place meatballs onto a serving platter and put pretzels or toothpicks into a dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment