Sunday, August 26, 2012

Twisted Cinnamon Rolls


Our family loves cinnamon rolls. I found an absolutely delicious recipe before we ever had the kiddos and would make them for special occasions. Since adding 4 to our family, I don't make them as often do to time constraints so I decided to try my own variation on the traditional cinnamon rolls.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
  • 2 tablespoons + 3 teaspoons sugar, divided 
  • 1 tablespoon  quick-rise yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons cinnamon
Topping
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions
This is where I deviate from most recipes. With there being a time factor in my house, I use my bread machine to do all the mixing and the first rising. So...
  1. In the bottom of your bread pan, combine water, 2 tablespoons oil,  2 tablespoons sugar, and yeast. Top with flour, oats, and salt. Set your bread machine for dough and press 'Start'.
  2. Allow the dough to go through the first rise and deflate cycle (roughly 30 minutes). Then empty dough out onto a heavily floured surface, knead.
  3. Roll out the dough into a 10"x20" rectangle. Rub with 1 tablespoon coconut oil; sprinkle liberally with the cinnamon and sugar. Roll the dough up jelly roll style and pinch seams closed. 
  4. Take a sharp knife and cut the roll in half starting about 1" from an end and going all the way through to the other end (Yes, I know I need pictures of this process but I didn't have time to take them this morning). I did something similar to the process pictured here but the instructions are in Italian so I just made up my own recipe, etc. and used the pictures for examples. (even less if you are using quick-rise yeast). 
  5. Twist the two pieces together like in the the above mentioned blog post. Then shape into a circle, rectangle, square, heart, etc. on a greased cookie sheet.
  6. (If using regular yeast, you'll need to allow for rising at this point.) Place into a cold oven and then turn the temp up to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly browned. 
  7. While "rolls" are in the baking, cream together all of the topping ingredients and place in a ziptop baggie. Cut one of the bottom corners to make your own "piping" bag.
  8. Remove from oven, drizzle with topping, and allow to cool on a wire rack. 
  9. Slice and enjoy!
Some added ideas - top with craisins, raisins, and/or almost slices just before or just after baking, then drizzle with cream cheese topping or a simple vanilla glaze.

Here are some pictures that I took of the process. I promise to add more the next time I make this recipe. :o)







No comments:

Post a Comment