Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Multi-Grain Bread

I decided not to use my loaf pans the day I took the picture,
which is why it looks more like French bread.
I decided to try my hand at making a multi-grain bread for Miss S.'s birthday. I wanted something that combined oats, wheat, flax, and something with a little extra texture so I included sunflower seeds. The bread turned out delicious and everyone enjoyed it! Love it when that happens. :o) Here's what I used:

Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon instant yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons milled flax seed
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ
  • 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seed kernels
Directions
This is where I deviate from most bread recipes. With there being a time factor in my house, I use my bread machine to do all the mixing and the first rising. So...
  1. In the bottom of your bread pan, combine water, oil, sugar, and yeast. Top with flour, oat, flax, wheat germ and sunflower kernels; then add salt. Set your bread machine for dough and press 'Start'.
  2. Allow the dough to go through the first rise and deflate cycle (30-40 minutes). Then empty dough out onto a floured surface, knead, and divide into two equal pieces forming into loaves.
  3. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. 
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and bottoms of the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans, brush with butter or coconut oil, and allow to cool on a wire rack. 

I love seeing all the beautiful different flecks of grain throughout the bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment