Monday, November 1, 2010

Homemade Lasagna

When I was a kid, Lasagna was reserved for occasions that were a little more on the special-side, mostly because it took so long to prepare. I have always loved the way my mom made it and I continue to make it pretty much the same way.

  • 1 lb. 85%-90% lean ground beef, ground venison, or even ground turkey/chicken
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 quarts tomato sauce
  • 1 4 oz can mushrooms or 1/2 cup fresh, optional
  • 2 teaspoons basil
  • 2 teaspoons parsley
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 box lasagna noodles (I never use up the whole box)
  • 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese (I'm using fat free)
  • 5 oz shredded Parmesan
  • 1 carton cottage cheese or Ricotta cheese (I'm using fat free)
Directions
  1. Brown ground beef, onion and garlic.
  2. Add tomato sauce, mushrooms, and herbs, stirring until well mixed.Simmer 15 minutes.
  3. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.In a lasagna pan, layer noodles, meat sauce, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and Parmesan; repeat for 2 more layers. Top off with layer of noodles; sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cheese mixture is thoroughly melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment