Monday, October 25, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

One of the ladies from my church brought this delicious potato soup to the Ladies Retreat over the weekend. I am a huge fan of potato soup and have never been able to get it quite right. I am very glad she was willing to share this recipe so that I could finally make some great potato soup!
  • 4 large baking potatoes *(read "Note" below)
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 6 cups milk 
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 12 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled, and divided (I use a whole pound)
  • 4 green onion, chopped and divided
  • 1 (8 oz) carton sour cream
Directions
  1. Wash potatoes, prick several times with a fork. Bake at 400 for 1 hour or until done; cool. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, and reserve. Discard shells.
  2. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute; stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
  3. Stir in potato, salt, pepper, 1 cup cheese, 1/2 cup bacon, and 2 Tbsp green onions; cook until heated (do not boil). Stir in sour cream; cook just until heated (do not boil). Sprinkle servings with remaining cheese, bacon, and green onions. Yield: 10 cups
NOTE: I have used baked potatoes (most time consuming), boiled yukon, gold, red potatoes, and even a bag of frozen hashbrowns (thawed) when in a pinch. I usually just peel and dice up a lot of potatoes, cook them all by boiling in water with chicken bouillon for added flavor, and put some through a "ricer", adding bulk and creaminess to the soup base. I like lots of potato chunks, so I use more than 4 potatoes, but I don't know exactly how many to tell you. Honestly, as long as there are potatoes in the soup SOMEHOW, it will be fine. FInd what works for you. (You can also use a jar of REAL bacon bits in a pinch.) One and a half times THIS recipe will fill a large crockpot (like at Ladies Retreat) to the top.
I have shared this recipe exactly as I received it. I used 3 cups evaporated skim milk and 3 cups regular skim milk, turkey bacon, and 6 oz. light sour cream (instead of the 8 oz. regular)  to cut down on some of the calories. I also cut the butter and flour down to 1/2 cup each. It was just a tasty as the original with a little less calories and fat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment