- 2 skinless, large boneless chicken breasts - diced
- 6 cups chicken broth (I use the low sodium broth)
- 2 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced (for a healthier option use smoked turkey sausage)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until soft. Add the chicken and garlic; continue cooking and stirring so that it does not stick. When the chicken is browned, add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, bell pepper and sausage.
- Pour in the broth, and bring to a boil. Add the rice, and season with cayenne, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, until rice is tender and broth has been absorbed.
I've also got an adaptation for the kiddos - Kid Pleasin' Jambalaya.
Original Recipe: Man Pleasin' Jambalaya on allrecipes.com